You have your venue and if you don’t, read my post on “picking a wedding venue” to help. Now it’s time to pick your wedding theme. We have grown from the days of everyone having the simple and classic wedding theme to literally being able to do whatever your heart desires. These days there are weddings themed from everything to Harry Potter, to Halloween Costumes, to masked balls, to sports themes to Gatsby and back to the classic wedding that still exists. The possibilities are endless which gives you 100% freedom to do what you would like. This may overwhelm you or may be right up your alley. The below is not meant to tell you what your theme will be, but instead guide you down the right path of picking the theme that is best for you.
Questions to Think About
1. Consider your venue
- If you are holding your venue at a specific themed place such as an art gallery, brewery or vineyard do you want your wedding theme to match the venue or are you looking to have it a bit more abstract?
- Is your wedding and reception inside or outside?
2. What season is your wedding?
- Winter: Do you want to shape your theme around the snow, hot cocoa, pine trees, etc.?
- Spring: Do you want your wedding themed around spring and the coming flower blossoms?
- Summer: Do you want lot of flower, bright colors or greenery like a fresh summer day?
- Fall: Do you want fall colors, pumpkins and mums a part of your wedding?
3. How formal do you want your wedding?
- White Tie
- Black Tie
- Black Tie Optional
- Cocktail Attire
- Semi Formal
- Dressy Casual
4. What is your everyday style?
5. Seriousness of the wedding/reception?
- Do you want your wedding an uptight, pinkies in the air type of wedding?
- Are you wanting to have fun and the atmosphere super chill?
- Do you want your wedding to be a dance party?
- Do you want your wedding centered around food?
6. What are your favorite things in life?
- Do you love Disney and want a princess fairytale themed wedding?
- Are you a Great Gatsby or Harry Potter fan?
- Is there a certain holiday that is your favorite? Valentines Day? Halloween? New Years?
- Do you have a favorite game that you want to center your wedding around? Candyland?
- Do you love art and want a certain art exhibit displayed at your wedding?
- Are you a foodie?
- Is your favorite place a vineyard or brewery?
- Did you grow up on a farm and your favorite place is being in an old rustic barn?
My Thought Process when deciding our Wedding Theme:
- My fiance and I are obsessed with the brewery scene. It’s very chill and relaxing and just our cup of tea, or should I say beer. Our wedding venue is a brewery. We literally are getting married in the loft of a brewery overlooking the bottling equipment and the reception is amongst towers of beer cans and bottling equipment.
- We booked our wedding in the Fall. The Fall happens to be one of my favorite seasons. I absolutely adore the colors, crisp fresh air, pumpkins, apple orchards and everything fall.
- Our wedding is semi formal. We have been to way too many formal weddings these past few years and the last thing we wanted was our pinkies in the air with a glass of champagne.
- We have a very classic, modern and sophisticated everyday style.
- We want our wedding to be fun and a party. I lost my Dad a few years ago in a tragic accident and my fiance lost his mother in a tragic accident when he was younger. We want to be surrounded by love and just have a large party and tons of fun with our guests.
With all of the above said our theme for our wedding is: Fall Brewery with a Modern take.
Think about the above 6 points:
- Take Notes, doodle and jot all your ideas down. I literally went through the above 6 questions above to narrow down exactly what we picked our theme to be for our wedding.
- Research on Pintrest. Make a Pinterest wedding board. Pinterest has the fabulous feature on your boards to add sections. You can create on Pinterest board called “Wedding Themes” and make different sections based on ideas you come across.
- Look at other Wedding Blogs
- Search Hashtags on Instagram (The more you know of what you want the better you will be able to narrow your hashtags down.) Some general ones to get you started: #wedding, #weddingtheme, #partythemes, #2018weddingthemes, #weddingideas, #weddinginspiration #weddingplanning
Don’t let picking a wedding theme be an overwhelming and stressful task. Take it in. Pour yourself a glass of bubbles. (Bubbles fix everything.) Take it all in. If you have questions please let me know. I love your feedback and would be happy to guide you in the right direction.