Tomorrow is Valentines Day and what better way to sweeten up that significant other, or yourself, than a delicious pan of homemade brownies. Our favorite homemade brownie recipe of all time is Alton Brown’s, Cocoa Brownies. They are so heavenly they should be a sin if you ask me. Now if you are looking something health conscious these aren’t for you. They do have quite a bit of butter and sugar in them, but these ingredients seriously make the world go round. If you are on a “healthy” diet, make these your cheat on your next cheat day. We all need those days.
Soft butter, for greasing the pan
- Flour, for dusting the buttered pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces melted butter
- 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it’s done, remove to a rack to cool. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it’s mostly cool.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
There are so many things you can do to add to this recipe as well to make it your own.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Bittersweet Baking Chips (60% Cacao)
- White chocolate chips
- Miniature M&M’s (fabulous for kids)
- Mini caramels (if you can’t find mini’s you can buy the large size and cube them)
- No bake cheesecake: add onto the top of the brownies after they are baked and cooled. You will have to refrigerate the brownie/cheesecake combo after this, but trust me, it’s still HEAVENLY!
- Chocolate frosting: you can make your own or pick up premade frosting at the store.
- Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Cool Whip
- Fresh Strawberries or Raspberries
I can’t tell you how many times I have made these for my fiancé and I. I hope you enjoy just as much as we do. The best part, it’s not too late to make these tonight, for tomorrow.
What are your favorite brownie add-ins, additions and sides?