My fiance and I fell in love in the South, not only did we fall in love with each other in the south but we fell in love with BBQ. We were reminiscing the other day on the blissful memories of when we first met and all of the events we attended where BBQ was in full swing. While I can’t snap my fingers and take us back to the South to spend time with friends and eat the delicious BBQ, I can make some at home, and so this is exactly what I did. Now instead of doing the traditional take on a Southern BBQ I spiced it up a little and did a BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato, and boy of boy was it delicious. It may not have been the most healthy meal of the week, but you only live once right!?! The best part of it all was how easy it was to make. The perfect weeknight, weekend meal or even meal for the next dinner party you are hosting. Either way, it’s easy and not extremely time consuming.
- These can easily be made into appetizers if you purchase small sweet potatoes.
- If you aren’t crazy about chicken feel free to substitute pork.
- We used sharp cheddar cheese but pepper jack cheese is also another delicious option.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 Large sweet potatoes
- 4 Stalks of celery (sliced)
- ¼ Red onion (diced)
- 8 Slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup BBQ sauce
- ½ Cup cilantro leaves
- ½ Cup pepperoncinis
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Bake sweet potatoes for an hour + until done.
- While sweet potatoes are baking. Boil the 2 chicken breasts for approximately 20-30 minutes (pending how big they are). To check if they are done take one out and check the temperature with a meat thermometer. Chicken needs to be at 165° or higher.
- When chicken is done place in a bowl and use two forks to shred. Add in BBQ sauce, stir and set aside.
- Chop celery and onions and pluck the cilantro leaves off the stems. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are done, cut in half. Cut each half down the center and make perpendicular cuts all the way down (for a visual it should resemble the pattern football laces make).
- Divide the shredded BBQ Chicken equally amongst the 4 sweet potato halves.
- Top with the sliced sharp cheddar cheese, and place under the broiler until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with celery, red onion, cilantro and pepperoncinis.