There isn’t an evening that a good piece of steak and glass of red wine can’t turn around. Now I would like nothing more than to indulge myself in steak and home fries with cheese, onions and the whole nine yards, but this isn’t the healthiest option, nor is it one that allows your figure to keep a “figuring.” My healthier take on steak night this week happened to be in the form of a Chimichurri Steak Salad, and let me tell you, it was delicious. The salad was so nice and fresh but hearty at the same time. Not to mention it didn’t take long at all to whip together. There is something about fresh herbs during the winter months that just lights up life.
- Grilling the steak brings out more flavor, but if needed a cast iron will do the trick as well.
- If you aren’t a big garlic fan, roast the garlic before blending with the herbs so it’s not quite as potent.
- If you want a little spice to your chimichurri sauce add a few dashes of red pepper flakes. This will take the dish up a notch in heat.
- 2 Pieces of steak (whichever cut you prefer)
- 4 Cups arugula
- 1 Bundle asparagus
- 4 Mini red peppers
- 4 Mini yellow peppers
- 2 Avocados (sliced)
- 1 Cup fresh parsley
- 1 Cup fresh cilantro
- ¾ Cup fresh basil
- 3 Sprigs rosemary
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 4 Pieces of bacon
- 1 Small brick blue cheese (crumbled)
- ½ Cup red wine vinegar
- ½ Cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Rinse asparagus and peppers. Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes; set aside when done.
- While veggies are roasting, start grill and let heat up until nice and hot.
- Grill Steaks 3-7 minutes per side depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- When steak is done place on a plate and cover with tin foil; let set for at least 5 minutes.
- While steak is resting combine the leaves of: parsley, cilantro, basil and rosemary in a blender. Make sure you don’t use the stems.
- Add in the 2 cloves of garlic, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Use the blender to chop and combine all herbs to desired consistency. Set aside.
- Cook bacon, crumble and set aside.
- Place a cup of arugula on 4 plates. Top with asparagus, roasted peppers and avocado.
- Slice steak and lay on top of the bed of greens. Drizzle with chimichurri sauce and sprinkle crumbled blue cheese and bacon on top.