An English classic and an easy meal to make during the week when life has you adulting; cottage pie. Cottage pie is definitely a comfort food for me. The best part is it’s not super bad for you. I love how hearty and filling it is. It hits the spot after being chilled by the cold winter weather, and is the perfect accompaniment to the warm crackling fire. Cottage pie originates from the poorer folk who lived in cottages in the UK and Ireland area. Cottage pie consisted of any meat topped with potatoes. How can you go wrong with meat and potatoes?
It’s also a fabulous meal to keep you within your food budget. The leftovers are just as tasty as the initial meal. I hope you enjoy just as much as we did.
Tips & Extras
- If you aren’t a big fan of ground beef, ground turkey is a great substitute.
- Mushrooms are a great add in if you would like more vegetables.
- Right before the cottage pie is done turn on the broiler to crisp the top of the potatoes (as desired).
- To make a fattier rendition of the potato top add in sour cream and butter.
- 1-1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 ½ cups peas
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bundle parsley minced
- 1 Tbsp beef bouillon
- 1 cup sour kraut
- ½ cup milk or cream
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Wash and cut potatoes into 4 pieces. Place in a pot of boiling water and boil until the potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are boiling, brown the hamburger, garlic and onions. Once browned add in carrots, celery and peas. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Once hamburger mixture is finished cooking place in a large bowl. Add in parsley and beef bouillon. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread hamburger mixture evenly in a glass 9×13 pan.
- When potatoes are done mash them with the milk. Add in sour kraut; mix.
- Spread potato mixture on top of hamburger mixture.
- Sprinkle with onion powder.
- Bake for 40 minutes; take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
§Click the Recipe Title for a PDF Download§