Asking your bridesmaids to be in your wedding is a super exciting time. Having the ladies you love most stand by you while you get married to your one and only, is a memory and moment you will have forever.
Being a bridesmaid is no little feat; you have to buy a dress, attend wedding festivities, make sure the bride stays sane, book travel, get a hotel room, pay for food and more. Bridesmaids are always curious what you are going to “make” them wear. Is the bride going to make us wear strapless, a ballgown dress, a chiffon wonder…the list goes on.
For our wedding I decided to go with the fabulous trend of letting my bridesmaids pick their own dresses. I want my bridesmaids, who are all shapes and sizes, to feel comfortable in the dress they are wearing for our wedding. I don’t want them to feel self conscious or insecure. I want them to feel like princesses along with me. Even though I let my bridesmaids pick their dresses, I did set some guidelines to ensure we all look succinct.
1. Pick the Color
- You can pick one color or multiple shades of the same color, or even multiple colors. I personally gave my bridesmaids the freedom to pick from multiple different shades of the same color to give my ladies all a little pop!
2. Pick the designer OR if you like multiple designers pick multiple
- Every designer has a different style/flavor to them. Pick something that you like and that you know is in your bridesmaids budgets.
3. Pick the dresses
- I put mine into a nice table format with links so the bridesmaids could easily click and see all the options.
4. Send an email out to all of your bridesmaids
- Include any additional thoughts and restrictions when picking a dress. For example: I don’t want two people wearing the same dress, so once a bridesmaid picks a dress and purchases it, it’s off the list for the other bridesmaids to choose from.
5. Bridesmaids try on dresses
- I have found through my bridesmaids picking their dresses that what they picked that they visually liked hasn’t been what is looking best on them when they are doing their fittings.
- Bridesmaid dresses take awhile to get. Our wedding is October of this year and I was quoted that all of my bridesmaids had to order their dresses by April to get them in time for alterations for the October wedding.
- Have fun with it and pick multiple different options.
- Once your bridesmaids start picking their dresses create a virtual line up to match styles and colors.
Cheers and happy planning!