Every week while making the grocery list and planning our meals I ask my fiancé if there is anything special he would like. Last week when I asked this, my fiancé said he wanted tomato soup and grilled cheese. When he said this, I knew he was referring to a processed tomato soup. I absolutely hate canned and processed soups. They contain so much unnecessary sodium and who knows what else, and so I decided to make a homemade tomato soup. Now tomato soup itself sounds so bland so I spiced it up by roasting the tomatoes with some red peppers .
The below Roasted Tomato & Pepper Soup was absolutely delicious. Not only was it delicious but it was super easy to make with minimal time constraints.
- If you are able to find fresh oregano and basil substitute these for the dried as it will provide enhanced flavor.
- For less sodium use a reduced sodium chicken broth.
Roasted Tomato & Pepper Soup
| Ready in 1 hour
Prep Time 10-15 Minutes
Cook/Bake Time 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Chop the tomatoes, red peppers and onions into large pieces; place on a large cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil (mix) and sprinkle with garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Roast veggie mixture for 30 minutes until starting to brown
- While veggies are roasting wash and pull of parsley leaves. Set aside.
- Once veggies are done roasting place them, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano and the chicken broth in a blender. Puree.
- Pour the roasted tomato/pepper puree into a large pot and cook on low under mixture is heated through.
- Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!