While everyone tends to be still running around like crazy in between Christmas and New Years I find it’s always a battle of what to make. You just had enough calories, fat and sugar in one meal (or multiple meals) to last you days, but you are still hungry and don’t feel like being that gourmet chef just quite yet. Fajita bowls are an easy meal to whip up for you and your family or for everyone visiting from out of town this week. They are so easy you may even dare to ask the person who never cooks dinner to help. Oh boy!
- Substitute nonfat greek yogurt for the sour cream to make the meal a little healthier or don’t use the sour cream at all.
- If you want to make the fajita bowl more into a salad add a section of lettuce or spinach.
- If you aren’t a big fan of green onions set some of the cilantro aside in the beginning and sprinkle that on top.
- Some additional toppings you could add: green pepper, black olives or jalapeno peppers.
- Feel free to keep the cheese off if you are trying to make your bowl a little healthier. I personally am a cheese-aholic (Wisconsinite) and the cheese is my guilty must.
3 Chicken Breasts sliced
|Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- Follow instructions on brown rice to cook.
- While brown rice is cooking place sliced chicken breasts in a pan. Turn on medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until done.
- While chicken is cooking prepare all toppings: cilantro, green onions, tomato, avocados and garlic. Set aside.
- Rinse both black beans and corn and combine.
- Combine tomatoes and minced garlic with 1 Tbsp lime juice. Set aside.
- Add in onions and saute with chicken for 10 minutes.
- Once onions and chicken have cooked for 10 minutes, add in peppers and fajita seasoning. Turn on low heat and let simmer until rice is done.
- Once rice is done add in the second Tbsp of lime juice and the diced cilantro. Mix.
1. Place a scoop of the lime cilantro rice on the on the side of 6 bowls.
2. Keep placing the ingredients in a pie format all around the bowl.
- Chicken fajita mixture
- Tomato, garlic lime mixture
- Corn and black bean mixture
3. Top with green onions & cheese and if desired sour cream, salsa and tortilla strips.