Why does holiday food always have to be so incredibly unhealthy and bad for you? It’s so bad and unhealthy but so good at the same time. In the end your stomach ends up catching up to you and it may not feel the best. To help throw off the pounds of cookies, candies, drinks and meals you consume during the holidays, throw in some greens during the week. The below Asian inspired salad is a easy, fast and delicious salad to throw together.
- Vegetarian option is to substitute tofu for chicken.
- If you don’t like raw onions and/or jalapenos throw them in with the chicken.
- If arugula is not your first green of preference feel free to use any other greens.
- Heirloom carrots can also be used to give the salad a bit more color. We were out of them at the time I made this and thus orange carrots it was.
- If you don’t want to use all soy sauce for the dressing substitute half of the required soy sauce for water. You can also use reduced sodium soy sauce.
- If you are not confident in your dressing making abilities (trust me it’s easy though) feel free to grab your favorite Asian inspired dressing at the grocery store.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4 salads
2 Large chicken breasts
1 Cup ginger garlic teriyaki marinade/sauce
3 Pieces of celery
½ Red Onion
½ Cup cilantro
2 Cups edamame
1 Red pepper
1 Orange pepper
4 Cups arugula
2 Cups sugar snap peas
½ Cup sesame oil
½ Cup soy sauce
1 Tsp sesame seeds
- Finely cube the chicken breasts and place in a large fry pan.
- Add the ginger garlic teriyaki marinade/sauce.
- Cook chicken on low heat until completely cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking place the arugula in a large bowl. Wash and grate the 3 carrots into the arugula.
- Wash and cut the two limes in half. Squeeze the fresh lime juice on top of the arugula carrot mixture. Toss. Set Aside.
- Chop the onion and celery and slice the red, orange and jalapeno peppers. Set aside.
- Rinse edamame and sugar snap peas and set aside.
- Rinse cilantro and pluck all of the leaves off onto a small plate.
- Combine the sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds in a salad dressing shaker.
- Shake and set aside.
- Place ¼ of the argula mixture on 4 plates.
- Sprinkle the red pepper, orange pepper, jalapeno peppers, red onion, celery and sugar snap peas on the arugula mixture.
- Top the greens with the teriyaki ginger garlic chicken.
- Sprinkle with the cilantro and enjoy!