It was one of those evenings where I wanted a good meal but felt a tad bit lazy and didn’t want to be in the kitchen for awhile. I decided to make a “healthier” take on nachos. Don’t get me wrong they have cheese and sour cream so they aren’t completely healthy but a tad bit healthier than the normal nacho option.
I am not one for sweet potatoes. Why does dinner have to be sweet that’s what dessert is for, however when paired with the right toppings the sweet potato can be the perfect dinner.
The sweet potatoes took surprisingly longer to bake into chips than expected, but the key is to set the timer and keep flipping them. I suggest a 10 minute time flipping below in the recipe but the first few I did a 15 minute time period.
If there are other toppings you prefer add! These are your nachos by all means. I highly suggest keeping the cilantro lime black beans though. They are delicious!
Sweet Potato Nachos
2 large Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Wash and thinly slice the 2 sweet potatoes.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet.
- Pour 1 Tbsp of olive oil on the sliced sweet potatoes and mix to ensure all sides of the sweet potato chips are coated; sprinkle with the chili lime seasoning.
- Place sweet potato slices in the oven and time them for 10-15 minutes. When the timer goes off stir/flip and place back in oven with another 10-15 minutes on the timmer. You will do this cycle for 3-4 times (approximately 45-60 minutes cooking)
- Once sweet potato chips are done, turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Top the sweet potato chips with the sharp cheddar cheese and place under broiler for 3-5 minutes; melting cheese to desired crispness.
Nacho Meat (don’t start until 15-20 minutes left with sweet potato chips)
- Finely cube the chicken or turkey breasts and place in a skillet with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook chicken/turkey breast cubes until no longer pink and starting to brown.
- Place taco seasoning in with meat and follow instructions on taco seasoning packet.
- Simmer on low until sweet potato chips are done.
- To prep the black beans first wash, and then place in a bowl with the lime juice and diced cilantro. Mix. Set Aside.
- Finely dice tomatoes, green peppers, green onions and avocados. Set all toppings aside.
- To assemble place the sweet potato chips on a plate.
- Sprinkle the chicken/turkey mix.
- Top with all veggies and then dollop with sour cream and salsa.